He sent a baby.
Didn’t see that coming.
Oh, we knew He would send something, or someone.
And it was going to be awesome…
Truth be told, we deserved “terrible” more than “awesome.”
For thousands of years we gave lip service
And not much else.
We worshiped ourselves, did our own thing.
We hoped for a king who would destroy our enemies
While overlooking the fact that our sins were just like theirs.
But sending a baby?
What was He thinking?
We wanted a sword swinging
King on a big horse.
We got a baby
Born to a not quite married girl
In a nowhere town
In a shabby room.
Maybe we weren’t the only ones who didn’t see that coming.
The devil didn’t seem ready for it either.
I mean, none of it really makes sense.
Baby, nowhere’s-ville, father goes absent
Twelve unemployed guys as his posse
Religious people opposing him
Nailed to a tree, naked, humiliated
Right in front of his mother
AWOL from the tomb a few days later.
He came as a baby.
One of us.
Walked with us.
Ate with us.
Told us to do what he did.
And then he told us we’re good. He can boogie now.
And so he did.Straight up.
What a story.
Not what we were expecting.
But exactly what we needed.
That baby was God and King and Savior.
Didn’t see it coming.
Thought He come with fire and all cheesed off.
We deserved no less than hell.
He gave us heaven.
That baby. Wow.
He was more than a baby.
Glory to God in the highest.
Peace on earth.
Our Featured Authors
- Bobby Valentine I did not realize what an intensely personal ... published Searching for the Pattern: My Journey in Interpreting the Bible by John Mark Hicks, A Review via Wineskins.org3 hours ago · visit
- Frances Pittman Even in the middle of humanity’s faceplant, God ... published Fruits of a Complementarian Creation Account: A Church of Paul (Part 5) via Wineskins.org7 hours ago · visit
- Matt Dabbs Are we prime for revival or are we hopelessly stu... published Preserving Our Good DNA in Churches of Christ & Six Adjustments For Revival via Kingdom Living
- John Mark Hicks The church has heard some rather ominous word... published Where are the Dead? Singing the Victory Song (Revelation 14)! via Wineskins.org4 days ago · visit
- John Mark Hicks The Sermon on the Mount is the epitome of Kin... published Pledging Allegiance to the Messiah's Kingdom - The Lord's Prayer via John Mark Hicks5 days ago · visit
- Matt Dabbs The book (Discipleship that Fits) now focuses... published Review of “Discipleship that Fits” Chapter 4 – The Hoopla Can Actually Work via Kingdom Living1 week ago · visit
- John Mark Hicks On the heels of John’s prophetic commission... published Where are the Dead? The Church Bears Witness Against the Empire via Wineskins.org1 week ago · visit