He sent a baby.
Didn’t see that coming.
Oh, we knew He would send something, or someone.
And it was going to be awesome…
Truth be told, we deserved “terrible” more than “awesome.”
For thousands of years we gave lip service
And not much else.
We worshiped ourselves, did our own thing.
We hoped for a king who would destroy our enemies
While overlooking the fact that our sins were just like theirs.
But sending a baby?
What was He thinking?
We wanted a sword swinging
King on a big horse.
We got a baby
Born to a not quite married girl
In a nowhere town
In a shabby room.
Maybe we weren’t the only ones who didn’t see that coming.
The devil didn’t seem ready for it either.
I mean, none of it really makes sense.
Baby, nowhere’s-ville, father goes absent
Twelve unemployed guys as his posse
Religious people opposing him
Nailed to a tree, naked, humiliated
Right in front of his mother
AWOL from the tomb a few days later.
He came as a baby.
One of us.
Walked with us.
Ate with us.
Told us to do what he did.
And then he told us we’re good. He can boogie now.
And so he did.Straight up.
What a story.
Not what we were expecting.
But exactly what we needed.
That baby was God and King and Savior.
Didn’t see it coming.
Thought He come with fire and all cheesed off.
We deserved no less than hell.
He gave us heaven.
That baby. Wow.
He was more than a baby.
Glory to God in the highest.
Peace on earth.
Our Featured Authors
- Matt Dabbs I recently ran a survey of Church of Christ minist... published Ministers' Health in Churches of Christ - Some New Statistics to Consider via Kingdom Living2 hours ago · visit
- John Mark Hicks The following is three paragraphs from a paper whi... published Alexander Campbell's Relationship to Protestantism via John Mark Hicks5 days ago · visit
- Matt Dabbs As Jesus concluded the Passover meal with his disc... published Psalm 118 and the Last Song Jesus Sang Before His Death via Kingdom Living6 days ago · visit
- Matt Dabbs We live in a world of instant and instant means th... published What the United Airlines Debacle Has to Teach Us About the Importance of Context via Kingdom Living
- Bobby Valentine I have come to believe two passages of Scripture, ... published God Creed, Jesus Creed: Center and Circumference of Christian Faith via Wineskins.org