Home Discussion Forums Theology Preterism

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John Fewkes John Fewkes 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Matt Dabbs
    Matt Dabbs
    Keymaster

Anyone have any experience studying preterism…specifically full preterism? I have been having some discussions with a friend and it has gotten me giving this more of a look than I ever have in the past. If you have studied this…what was your conclusion and what do you consider to be the “homerun” passages for either side of the debate?

George Guild
    Participant

Matt,

I consider myself to be a partial-preterist/Amillinialist. I am not sure how many coC actually know what these positions mean. A “Full” Preterist book that I would recommend to you is “The Parousia” by James Stuart Russell. Many consider this to be the best book on the subject, though obviously not everyone will agree with all the author’s conclusions. Editions were published in 1878 & 1887.

For me: 1Thes. 4:16-18 “For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.” has not occurred yet.

I do believe that Jesus Christ came back in AD 70, in a cloud judgment. But I believe that Jesus Christ is going to have a final return. And that, in my opinion has not happened yet.

Books that I have read on the (mostly partial-preterist) subject are: The Last Days According to Jesus (Sproul), The Apocalypse Code {Hanegraaff), The Parousia (Russell), The Days of Vengence (Chilton), The Time is at Hand (Adams), The Early Church and the End of the World (DeMar), Last Days Madness (DeMar), Matthew 24 Fulfilled (Bray), The Beast of Revelation (Gentry), The book of Revelation Made Easy (Gentry), and Jesus v. Jerusalem (McDurmon). And I have more in the q to be read. I have (not read yet) The Cross and the Parousia of Christ (Max King “King Doctrine” or AD 70 Doctrine Author, he was a full preterist).

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  George Guild.
    Matt Dabbs
    Keymaster

Thank you for the recommendations George! At this point I am thinking a 100% full preterist position is nearly impossible to hold. Has every knee bowed and tongue confessed? Even among those furthest down the spectrum it seems they still conceded there are at least a handful of things that will be different in the future.

George Guild
    Participant

How one interprets Matthew 24 and the book of Revelation is very important.

I agree with you when you asked “Has every knee bowed and tongue confessed?” No, not yet.

To be Full Preterist also means not worrying about the master returning in an hour that is unexpected. For almost 2,000 years the church has been in eager expectation of the return of our Lord. To not look with eager expectation (not like the misguided dispensational pre-millinalists who seem to be eagerly looking forward to the anti-christ’s arrival) takes away a certain seriousness like “do a good job, because the boss is coming in to inspect our work.” The good craftsman does not fear inspection by the boss, but the non-working, lazy craftsman does. Full Preterists (in my opinion) have lost that eager expectation because they see that the Lord has come already and will not come again. And so like the hyper-Calvinists, have little incentive to expand the Gospel of Christ in our world, now.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  George Guild.

robert_buna
    Participant

Matt, I’ve been studying full-preterism since 2006 and now I consider myself an adept. If you are looking for full-preterist resources I recommend Don K. Preston and Max R. King (I believe both are from coC).
    Couple books that I would recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/Who-This-Babylon-Preston-Div-ebook/dp/B008CFN4QM/ref=sr_1_7?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1417709498&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Like-Father-Son-Clouds-Glory-ebook/dp/B008FQG9ME/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1417709498&sr=1-3

Also, Preston just released a book dealing with the subject whether full preterists are guilty of Hymenaean heresy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hymenaean-Heresy-Response-Preterist-Eschatogy-ebook/dp/B00OPDPQAW/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1417709498&sr=1-1

Hope this helps.

Matt Dabbs
    Keymaster

Thank you Robert…that really does help. I appreciate the recommendations.

Profile photo of Bill Hebert
    Bill Hebert
    Participant

Matt – I have looked at, read about and (somewhat) struggled with preterism for several years. I would recommend the Steve/Tom Kloske book “Second Coming: Mission Accomplished”. It seems to be a fair look at preterism. I agree with most of the conclusions drawn by the authors and am, well, curious about several of their conclusions. I have come to believe that ALL of the new testament was written prior to the destruction of Jerusalem and that we in the churches of Christ and those in the denominational world MUST re-look and re-think our previous “understanding” of the subject. If we all concluded that preterism is the correct way to interpret difficult scriptures and that all has been fulfilled then denominationalism would come close to exiting the religious scene and it would seriously adjust our understanding of the Holy Spirit and the works of and indwelling of the Holy Spirit in 2015. This would answer a lot of questions and misunderstandings in our lives. Also, preterism does not seem to be a “salvation issue” although ones understanding of it could be the result of centuries of faulty thinking which could lead to other issues that are salvation issues.

Matt Dabbs
    Keymaster

Thank you for chiming in Bill!

Profile photo of John Fewkes
    John Fewkes
    Participant

Like a couple of others, I consider myself to be a partial preterist Amillenialist. The “early view” for the date of the Revelation I think presents the fewest problems of interpretation… I can recommend a nicely balanced treatment “Revelation – Four Views by Steve Gregg. While he does not have academic credentials (only a problem for some), he does have a solid approach and a high regard for scriptural inspiration.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.