Home Discussion Forums Biblical Text Studies The ESV on Romans 16:7

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Dabbs Matt Dabbs 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Matt Dabbs
    Matt Dabbs
    Keymaster

Interesting translation in the ESV on Romans 16:7
    ESV – “Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.”
    NIV – Greet Andronicus and Junia, my relatives who were in prison with me; they are prominent among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was.
    NASB – Greet Andronicus and Junias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners, who are outstanding among the apostles, who also [f]were in Christ before me.

RSV – Here is the most interesting one as the ESV is 92% straight unedited RSV. In other words any decision to change the just 8% that was changed is for a reason, “Greet Androni′cus and Ju′nias, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners; they are men of note among the apostles, and they were in Christ before me.”

So the RSV had Junia as a man as does the NASB (which no text supports nor is there a shred of ancient evidence in any document or inscription for a man of that name) but also listed them as “among” the apostles (which is the right call there…but it seems they didn’t feel justified calling a woman an apostle so had to find a way around the name Junia even though the text didn’t call for it. Anyway, found that interesting.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Matt Dabbs Matt Dabbs.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.