Home Discussion Forums Children’s Ministry Forum family and church conversations

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      lowryhershey
      Participant

Matt Dabbs had a post challenging us to have difficult conversations. I came across an adult Bible class curriculum over the Ten Commandments. One particular lesson suggested two (2) class assignments. I quote the two assignments and then I quote a document I wrote. I would appreciate interaction!
      Love from fourteen!

Pillars: Still Standing After Centuries of Change – a study of the Ten Commandments.
      Lesson 8 Being Moral in an Immoral World
      The Teaching Guide had two (2) particular suggested assignments.

Encourage Application 6 Challenge your class to draft a document for all the families in your church. The document is titled,
      “The Ten Practices that Promote a Life of Purity in an Immoral World.”

Discussion Plan Guide Bible Study …The Study Guide highlights the importance of mothers and fathers frankly discussing the issue of sexual immorality with
      their children.
      As a class, discuss the following question: What are the most effective ways for parents to talk with their children about this issue?

The Ten Practices that Promote a Life of Purity in an Immoral World

Practice number one: FIDELITY || We are called to be HOLY and this should be elevated above Purity. Thus it is written: three times! In Leviticus 20:7 and First Peter 1:15 and 16. The foundational definition of holy is different. This is addressed to a Christian culture in our family and in our congregation. When we go outside the walls of our church or home, we can see it exemplified in some other denominations with their dress or social actions. (Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mennonites (and parallel groups), Roman Catholic Nuns can be some easily identified examples.) Ruth 2:8-9, 15-16
      Practice number two: Story-telling, birds & bees || The reality of Song of Solomon 1:2 — Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine (ESV) and this is the common translation across the board. Here are three other translations: Young’s Literal Translation, note the second plural — Let him kiss me with kisses of his mouth, For better [are] thy loves than wine. Next we have the Christian Standard Bible — Oh, that he would kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your caresses are more delightful than wine. This gave us a context of the second plural! And finally, The Passion Translation — Let him smother me with kisses—his Spirit-kiss divine. So kind are your caresses, I drink them in like the sweetest wine! Perhaps most of us are not into adult beverages. Do you remember when Liesl asked her father if she could stay during a party and try champagne and he said “No”? This scene is in The Sound of Music. There is something about these kisses (and a kiss is VERY important Song 8:1) and love and wine that is a reality we must honestly convey to those in our family and congregation that perhaps takes us through a wardrobe. Proverbs 31:10-31
      Practice number three: Walk in wisdom || Known lists of vices occur numerous times in scripture. Jesus gives a list, Paul gives a list, the Jerusalem council underscores one such action, and again, Paul, even if we are wearing the armor of God, tells us what do! Colossians 4:5
      Practice number four: Justice / fairness || One preacher identifies and contrasts a certain standard with an alternate activity and the paragraph in The Message shows how our life of faithfulness interacts with what is occurring in society. — Stay on good terms with each other, held together by love. Be ready with a meal or a bed when it’s needed. Why, some have extended hospitality to angels without ever knowing it! Regard prisoners as if you were in prison with them. Look on victims of abuse as if what happened to them had happened to you. Honor marriage, and guard the sacredness of sexual intimacy between wife and husband. God draws a firm line against casual and illicit sex. Hebrews 13:1-4
      Practice number five: Study || Foundational concepts are found in the opening page of God’s revelation to us. Before He gives any commands to the man and woman — God blesses them. And to fulfil the commands He specifically brings the woman to the man. These commands can be fulfilled without this togetherness but if we watch each other’s backs, fulfilling these commands will be much easier. (And we haven’t even gotten to The Fall in these opening pages.) 1 Thessalonians 4:4-6
      Practice number six: Fortitude || When Jesus is teaching His disciples in the Sermon, we read about the kingdom of God and righteousness. He is always teaching about this. Life is more than food, clothes, or headlines. God is faithful. Each generation, culture, society, and country can name their Pearl Harbor or 9-11 yet the next day, the sun did come up. Psalm 11
      Practice number seven: Prudence || David had an interesting membership in his following. We are told David got away and escaped to the Cave of Adullam. When his brothers and others associated with his family heard where he was, they came down and joined him. Not only that, but all who were down on their luck came around—losers and vagrants and misfits of all sorts. David became their leader. There were about four hundred in all. Our homes and congregations can be the same. Where 400 would go would impact the neighborhood and perhaps a larger community. And we are no better and God still chooses us and Jesus still claims us as His bride. Imagine the impact we carry in our hallways at work and school. Proverbs (choose one!)
      Practice number eight: Zeal || Symbolism can be highly useful and encouraging. Whether jewelry, tattoos, ornaments, bumper stickers, t-shirts, caps, yet symbols can be counterfeit. Our life will tell people where we stand. Who do we stand with? What do we stand for? In what way are we just like everybody else? Who are our heroes and witnesses? 2 Kings 9:20; Acts 9:1; 22:1
      Practice number nine: Accountability || We are not alone. Someone may ask why do we act this way? We can answer their questions. Feel comfortable and be empowered to ask others why this action or position or assertion is displayed in their life. We are all being watched. This lets others know our story and we can know their story. Job 31:35
      Practice number ten: Diligence || We all die. It could be from an act of pre-determined violence planned half a world away, or just a bus when crossing the street in our neighborhood, or a slippery bathtub at home. It can be determined by the powers that be or when the promised procedure and cure do not work. But until we do die, follow the first two commands of Jesus. We shall equally encourage those around us. That is how Elisha, Jehu, and Hazael were called. We impact the world, as do those with us. And their response to our calling them may be Yes, I will follow, or No, I shall continue my own road, or Why should I be with you and not Tom, Dick, or Harry? Each response can be individual and our response back must be to His glory, which will be GOOD. 2 Timothy 4:9-15

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.